Monday, October 20, 2008

Fat is Phat

Eo sou gordo. I am fat. And this time it’s a compliment and not an insult. And this is why I love Africa. Haha. Ok it’s not the Only reason, but it’s in the top 2. Here, being comfortably plump is a good thing. It’s a sign of good health and wealth, I guess. And all of the women here tell their female volunteers that they’re going to get them fat, and you can imagine their reactions. As for me, my little sister, Salida, likes to touch my stomach and say “gordo” and then giggle. She’s adorable and never fails to make me smile.

In fact, everybody here seem to have the same innate ability to make others smile. Everybody here is so content. They really don’t have much, but they’re so satisfied with what they do have. And I think that’s incredible. They know what life is like outside of their own little village, but they’re still so content with their lives. And we have soo much in the U.S. in comparison to them no matter what your socio-economic status is, but we always seem to want more. I love the people here. I think they’re genuine and beautiful. This past Sunday I went to church with my family and I really enjoyed it. Granted, I didn’t understand a word they were saying, but I got the drift of it. Pretty much, they sing. They sing the entire time. They don’t have instruments, a sound system, mics, or a projector. They have their voices and they sing. And then there’s a time when they’ll sing a song, and then after the song someone will share either how blessed they are or what they’re going through. Everybody was so open and honest. And I thought that was really cool. There was only about 30 people and the church was crazy hot, but I really enjoyed it.

In the short time that I’ve been here, I’ve felt full, hot, and overwhelmed.

They feed me like crazy. I get a daily dose of chicken and rice served with a cream of coconut, peanuts, onions, and tomatoes. That’s pretty much my food everyday. Lots of rice, lots of vegetables, and some meat here and there. They eat so much starch here, it’s hard to imagine how I can ever lose weight here….

And then I’m reminded of how hot it is here. There are two seasons here: hot and cold. Cold is like spring/fall for us. Hot is like sitting on pavement naked in the middle of july. It is hot here. And it’s sort of a faux pas to wear shorts here, so I’m stuck in pants and a button down shirt everyday. And all of those commercials of Degree deodorant are full of lies. There’s no way that thing can keep you dry in Africa. I think I sweat off about 5 pounds everyday as I walk about 2 miles everyday. I might still be hefty on the top, but I’m sure that after these two years, my legs are going to be catwalk-worthy.

The people, culture, and history of Mozambique are overwhelming. Everyday I learn about new issues that people have to deal with here that we take for granted in the states. There is a huge gap between the amount of female students in primary school and in secondary school. Various factors are responsibilities at home and the cultural acceptance of the idea that education for girls is not important. There is huge lack of secondary schools available, and secondary school teachers. Because of that issue, many schools have three sections which students can attend; morning, afternoon, and night. Teachers take advantage of female students. Going to a university after secondary school is reserved for those who can afford it. And schools simply do not have enough resources. It pretty much comes down to some chalk and a chalkboard in a class with 40-60 students.

I think the most overwhelming problem that I’ve become exposed to is the problem with HIV/AIDS. 21% of the people in southern Mozambique, which is where Namaacha is located, have the HIV/AIDS virus. That means that 1 out of every 5 people that I’ve met here has AIDS. I find that startling. I can’t even say that I know anyone back home that has AIDS except Magic Johnson. In Mozambique, 16% of the people have AIDS. There is an immense effort towards AIDS awareness here and I didn’t realize until now how huge of a task that is. We take for granted our knowledge, education, and access to information. There are a number of myths and misconceptions of AIDS here. Some myths and misconceptions are that some people believe that sleeping with a virgin will make one immune to AIDS. You can get AIDS from an HIV/AIDS test. Hospitals don’t always use sterilized needles. HIV/AIDS is something that the white man made up in order to get richer. Only people in poverty have AIDS (words from the president of South Africa). People mainly attribute and associate AIDS with those without a good, stable family, those living in poverty, and prostitutes and drug dealers. Here, the conception of AIDS is that it is a social problem and not something biological. And so, the main problem with AIDS is the social stigmatization that comes with those with AIDS and even with those who get tested for it.

I still feel like I have a lot to learn about the entire issue, but what I do know is that I find it overwhelmingly sad such myths and misconceptions actually keep this problem to continue.

So, Africa is a beautiful place. It really is. But I also know that I got a lot ahead of me and I definitely don’t feel as competent and informed as I should be. But I’m ready and excited for the challenges ahead.

Anyways.. here are some fun facts:

Chris Brown and James Blunt are big in Africa, at least in southern Africa. why james blunt is so big? i have no idea.

gallos (roosters) don't "cocka-doodle-doo" when the sun comes up, they do it every hour of the day. and i don't think people kill them to eat them, they kill them because they are annoying and keep you up all night. at least that's why i would kill them.

they like to watch tv and listen to the radio and play a cd all at the same time.

people in Africa eat way more rice than any Asian country. period.

Did I mention that Africa is hot?

African women are like ants. they carry twice their weight on their heads


what is going on?

.. with obama and politics?

.. with the office? Lost?

.. with any new movies? someone told me they're going to make "arrested development" the movie?

.. new apple products? (mac > pc)

.. economy? I heard it’s only getting worse? If anything, I guess now was the best time to leave the U.S. for two years.

.. with you? Anything new?


thank you God for..

headlamps.. i use mine religiously, and it makes life so much easier.. muito obrigado b ryan

convenient journals.. i have a moleskin that i carry around everywhere with me to apprender e practicar portuguese... thanks a bunch june=)

introducing toliet paper to africa... needles to say, my experience here would've been a Lot more different if there wasn't any tp here..

single use powder packets of gatorade propel... it gives my water, and my day, a kick... a little bit of sugar goes a loooong way. Good look ojos.

king cone.. that was the company that makes the heavenly goodness known here as cervete... thank you king cone=)

baby powder… it’s a guy thing and it makes life way better in a hot climate.

Hand sanitizer… it reminds me of American bathrooms.


if you’re in a good mood you wanna get me some…

more powder stuff of whatever? A little sugar goes a looong way.

Dvds? I’m always up for a cinematic adventure.

Boxers? Apparently there are durable and quick-drying boxers out there made by companies like Patagonia and stuff. Any local outdoorsy store has ‘em, and a good breezy pair of boxers is a must here.

New music? I like to stay up to date

Magazines and news clippings? It’s hard to stay updated with current events.

Pictures? It’s nice to see what people are doing/eating at home=)


Muito obrigado (thank you very much)


Hope all is well on your side of the atlantic. Hakuna matata.

By the way, before coming to Mozambique, everything I knew about Africa, I learned by watching Lion King.

I was way off… animals do not talk over here.



The Daily Routine

Sunday on the 19th of October, year 2008.

David's schedule

5:30- wake up to someone blasting usher's "love in this club" at their house

5:35- wake up again to chris brown's "kiss kiss"

6:00- wake up to alarm clock but stay in bed til i have to pee.

6:30- finally get out to pee and brush teeth.

6:45- clean room.

7:00- told to wash dishes. to wash dishes here you use three buckets, a rag, soap, and you're bending over during the entire process. to them it's like sitting indian style.. for me it's like lying on a bed of nails.. not fun or easy.

7:30- armed myself with a knife and proceeded to kill a chicken. you step on their feet, their wings, and then chop off the head. then you let the blood squirt out while its body is spazzing out. then you dip it in hot water, start plucking out all the feathers, cut off the anus and anal rectum, pull out its guts, cut the chicken in half, continue to pull out guts, toss everything out except liver, intestines, and gizzard. cut gizzard so that you can take out the insides. cut up intestines and get everything inside of it out. dip the chicken in some water to clean it. and abra kadabra, you have lunch. today was the second time i killed a chicken, and it will soon be added to my resume.

8:15- take a bucket bath and wash my hands clean of the chicken blood and guts.

8:45- have some breakfast.

9:00- relax, read, write, and get ready for some church.

9:30- sit, hot and uncomfortably, in a church for two and a half hours

12:00- get back home take a quick nap.

12:30- eat lunch.. or should i say, eating what i killed earlier

13:00- wash clothes... basically, there are no buttons for gentle rinse or tumble dry.. the only options you have are using your hands or using a rough surface. i'm never going to complain about laundry ever again when i'm back in the states. oh yea, and washing clothes takes me like 2 hours. it tires your back and your forearms.


the rest of the day is filled with walking around, stopping by the mercado (market), and doing nothing b/c the first part of the day was no field trip.

oh yea.. and we made a cake in the middle of africa. granted it wasn't the best cake in the world, but it was a cake nonetheless. so yea.. cake... in africa.. it happened.

vivendo na Africa nao e facil. living in Africa is not easy.
i love you mama bae. when i come back to the states i will get you a maid.

5 comments:

burntoutgradstudent said...

yo gordo, i can't believe u murder chickens. let KFC do that.
the presidential race is TIGHT. VA is swing state, so it's all very exciting. palin is the biggest disappointment for progressive women, and i was thinking of being her for halloween. (will be mia wallace from pulp fiction instead)
will try to get you some boxers.
i love how mozambiqans love james blunt! that is what i'm talking about!
much love gordo, noon.

burntoutgradstudent said...

dude, umma just called while at blue ridge mountain store. for your boxers. she put one of the workers on the phone so i could tell him "patagonia, quick drying boxers." i'm sure that was a first for him. gotta love the mamabae.

Bryan said...

dude!! i wanna kill a chicken!! man, i wish i placed a bet with you that you would gain weight going to africa instead of losing it...ARGG

oh btw, i'm getting kicked out of my place because the landlords are douchebags...don't have time to explain, but i found another place with pastor brian, and we live 5 min away from wes now. hope all is well bro

Anonymous said...

Your work is marvelous!!

Anonymous said...

i had chicken today and i thought of you~!!