Friday, April 4, 2008

Mt. D Bae

i wonder what i'll see when i look down my own mountain

when i finally get to the top, who will be there with me?

what kind of clothes will i be wearing? what will i take with me?

how long would it take me to get up there? will i have wrinkles? is a cane in the picture?

what kind of scars will i have? what burdens will i be carrying? and who will be carrying them with me?

what will i be proud of? what will be my best memories? what will be my regrets? what will be my shame?

what tears will i have shed by then? and who would those tears be for?


.... i think the real question is whether or not i'll be proud of my mountain.

i want a mountain supported by a crowd of family and friends.. my cherished, my beloved.

i want their encouragement and joy to help build my accomplishments and feats..

i want the cracks to be healed with flowing streams.. the sharp ridges of naivety to be weathered and carved by the wisdom of the faithful rains

i want a mountain with the stone that the builders rejected to be my capstone, my foundation.


hmm.... got a lot more climbing to do

"i'm gonna stop lookin back, and start movin on
and learn how to face my fears
Love with all of my heart, make my mark
I wanna leave something here

Go out on a ledge, without any net
that's what i'm gonna be about
yea, i wanna be runnin'
when the sand runs out..."
-rascal flatts

5 comments:

burntoutgradstudent said...

i'll be in the valley, at the winery while you're up there on your mountaintop, ok?=)

Anonymous said...

your blog is pretty cool dbae=)

annnnnnnna said...

hey david. just discovered your blog and was very entertained. i liked your camping story. ^_^ keep writing! hope you are well. i'm in korea and noraebang just isn't the same without your awesome skills.

anna

elee said...

hello. i decided to resurrect my blog while i was in korea and i know how you like comments.. haha i put a couple pictures of where i was up.. go give me a comment!

joannekim said...

hey dave.

didn't know you had a blog! you get +10 pts on my list of awesomeness!

i read a cool article that's similar but unrelated to what you wrote in this entry:

"A long time ago, I had a high school coach who, two or three times a week, used to load our team... into a school van and go looking for hills for us to run... 'Do it! Do it! Do it!' he would shout, as we ran heavenward in a ragged line. 'This is NOT hard!' At some point, we saw that he was right-- that to dread a hill was to give it too much power, to start strategizinga bout how to get over it, to calculate our strength versus its distance and grade was a lost-cause algorithm. As far as Mr. Best was concerned, we didn't so much need to read the hill as to read ourselves. Here is where I could get hokey and metaphorical with you about hills. Here is where I could talk about ascension and elevation and how life is an uphill battle anyway. I could rhapsodize abhout how you'll find the clearest views at the top of a conquered hill. I could evoke Sisyphus pushing his rock uphill or 'The Little Engine That Could' and-- we should all remember-- did. But I won't. Because only you can work out your relationship to the hill you're on. Only you can outrun that inner goon who has no faith in you at all."

enjoy. hope you're doing well!